By GRACE AUDUA, Abuja –
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), announced on Wednesday that 236 new cases of COVID-19 infections had been recorded in the country.
It the daily update on its official twitter handle,@NCDCgov, the health agency also said that the new figures had brought the total numbe of confirmed COVID-19 infections in the country to 65,693.
It added that 61,457 cases of infections had been successfully treated and discharged while a total 1,163 deaths had been recorded since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic in Nigerian early this year.
A breakdown of the 236 new infections shows that Lagos topped the chart with 142 cases, followed by Ogun with 19, Kaduna-15 and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT)-14.
The remaining cases were recorded from Imo-14, Rivers-14, Plateau-6, Katsina-3, Ekiti-2, Jigawa-2, Oyo-2, Cross River-1, Kano-1, and Taraba-1.
Meanwhile , public schools in New York, the United States of America (USA), are to close for in-person learning from Thursday due to a statewide surge in COVID-19 cases.
The city’s Schools Chancellor, Richard Carranza, conveyed the directive in an email to school principals on Wednesday.
Carranza said the decision was taken because the infection rate average over the last seven days had reached the 3-per-cent closure threshold.
He stated that classrooms would hold remotely during the shutdown, while all school buildings would remain closed until further notice.
He added that “please note that this is a temporary closure, and school buildings will reopen as soon as it is safe to do so.
“I know that for many of you, this decision to close schools that we recently opened will be disappointing, and I understand.
“But by confronting the challenges together, we can continue to fight back against COVID-19. I am confident that before long, we will be able to safely reopen schools.”
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that New York has the largest school system in the United States, with 1,800 schools and no fewer than 1.1 million students.
The latest shutdown is coming barely two months after the schools reopened, following the first closure in April when the city became global coronavirus epicentre.
In a tweet, Mayor Bill de Blasio sued for understanding and cooperation from parents, noting that “we must fight back the second wave of COVID-19.”
The U.S. is currently experiencing a second wave of COVID-19, reporting no fewer than one million new cases last week.
it remains the hardest-hit country with no fewer than 11 million cases and 255,000 deaths.(With additional NAN report)